Welcome to .::UrbanPK::.
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Islamabad: Islamabad Highway/Expressway

* * * - - 1 votes Islamabad Highway Islamabad Expressway

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

Arkitect I Urbanist I Photographer I Cyclist

• Management
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Arkitechture, Photography, Bicylcing, Net Surfing!
Designed by: NHA
Consultants: N/A
3D Visualization by:N/A
Contractors: FWO
Engineers:N/A
Vendors:N/A

Infrastructure Type: Urban Highway
Construction Date:N/A
Completion Date:N/A
Client: N/A
Length: N/A
Lanes:N/A
Area: Acres
Location: Islamabad Highway/Expressway, From Zero Point to DHAI 2 G.T.Road, Islamabad

Render:N/A
Description:N/A
Site Plan:N/A
Google Image:N/A

Edited by AreebaBinteChishti, 16 August 2014 - 05:40 AM.
format up

fb513ed61e7e4dd39b9dc2d859be413f.gifi.gif?e=eyJhdiI6MjMwMzcsImF0Ijo0LCJjbSI6

'RANA DESIGN CONSULTANTS'
Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Follow us on here and refer us for any design work!

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Rebuilt part of Islamabad Highway opens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISLAMABAD, Sept 30: The city managers completed on Sunday the first phase of Rs243 million reconstruction project of the Islamabad Highway, one of the busiest roads in the federal capital.

With the commissioning of the first phase, the road between Soan Bridge and Airport road intersection was opened to normal traffic.

The reconstructed stretch of the highway, whose one section or the other remains in a dilapidated condition at any given time, is expected to provide some relief to the motorists.

Work on the second phase — Rawat to Soan Bridge — is already in progress is likely to be completed before Eid-ul-Fitr.

For the last many years, Islamabad Highway remained neglected or suffered delays in roadworks due to interference of those in power in the affairs of the Capital Development Authority (CDA).

The contract for the reconstruction was first awarded to a firm — Al Khan — owned by a brother of a federal minister, but the company could not produce the desired results and left the project incomplete. Now the project is being completed by a firm, Makson.

The total stretch of the 24 feet wide road that will be constructed is stated to be 12 kilometres. This portion of the road is also called the Western Carriageway.

The construction work on this portion was initiated in 2006 after a gap of 27 years, as it was previously repaired in 1978.

The completion time of the project was one year but it was prolonged due to slow pace of work by the former contractor.

The portion of the highway that has been reconstructed under the first phase is stated to be quite dangerous as many incidents of vehicles falling into ditch on the left side of the road have been reported.

“In view of such fatal accidents, we are constructing proper shoulders and crash barriers for the safety of travellers,” a CDA official said.

Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Islamabad Highway to be made signal free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISLAMABAD: CDA has decided to make the Islamabad Highway, 6th, 10th and 11th avenues signal free while application has been invited from national and international consultant firms till November 15 to prepare the design of these three new avenues.

The construction work will start following the preparation of designing work, which will be completed in September 2008.

Three interchanges one at Karaal Chowk, second at Lehtrar Road and third at Dhok Kala Khan Road will be constructed to make the Islamabad highway signal free.

The CDA is also planning to build underpass at Kuri Road. The Sixth Avenue will start from the backside of the petrol pump near Rawal Dam Chowk where underpass will be constructed.

Kashmir highway will also have an interchange, which will ease the traffic flow outside the five-start hotels.

The CDA will also construct underpass at Sixth Avenue near Begum Sarfraz Iqbal Road, besides constructing flyover at Jinnah Avenue to be connected from Margalla Road. Likewise the tenth avenue will begin from IJ Principal Road where interchange will be constructed to connect it from Lai expressway. The 11th avenue will also be constructed signal free and traffic leading to GHQ will run on it while various underpasses will be constructed at this avenue.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Islamabad Highway to Be Made Expressway

Islamabad: The Capital Development Authority (CDA) is planning to convert the Islamabad Highway into an expressway with more than 12 interchanges and underpasses, according to sources.

This project, estimated to be completed within three years, would comprise of five interchanges and seven underpasses in addition to Zero Point Interchange. According to a CDA official, there would be no traffic signal from Zero Point to Rawat, the official said.

The interchanges would be built at Rawat, Karal Chowk and Soan and Khanna bridges. Underpasses are being planned at Sector I-8 traffic signal, Kurri Road, near PWD Housing Scheme, Soan Garden Scheme, Japan Road and Defence Housing Authority.

Zain Abbass

Zain Abbass

Deputy Chief Minister

• Root Admin
  • 2,191 posts
Groundbreaking to widen Islamabad Highway on 31st
* Contract awarded to Macksons, company given 8 months to co
mplete work

ISLAMABAD: The Capital Development Authority (CDA) has decided to add a fourth lane on either side of the Islamabad Highway to ease traffic on the dual carriageway.

A senior CDA official told Daily Times that the stretch of the road from Faizabad to Koral would see two rigid lanes being reserved for heavy traffic and as many for light transport vehicles. Currently, the highway, which serves as one of the capital’s major and important roads, has three lanes on each side.

A groundbreaking for the widening and rehabilitation of this section is to be performed by CDA Chairman Kamran Lashari on Thursday (January 31), the official said.

An estimated 160,000 vehicles run the length of this portion of the road each day, making it the busiest in the Capital. “The traffic load has increased tremendously and it has now become imperative that it be widened,” he said.

Contract awarded: The contract for executing the project has been awarded to Macksons, the company, which was also involved in rehabilitation of highway’s Western carriageway from Rawat to Koral. Al-Khan Company, which was originally assigned the task, failed to complete work on time that resulted in the cancellation of its contract.

For the newest project, Macksons have been given eight months to complete work at a cost of approximately Rs 800 million. “The Faizabad-Koral section will have to be completed within that specified time because this is a road frequently used by VIPs,” the official said.

Heavy transport vehicles, mostly overloaded, have left some of the roads on the outer periphery of Islamabad furrowed that makes driving difficult, especially for smaller cars. Although the CDA plans to put in place a proper weighing system, no such facility exists at the moment. As it goes about improving the Islamabad Highway, the CDA for now has shelved plans to build underpasses along the road. “The matter did come up for discussions but I don’t think it is something that is immediately required,” said the official.

Meanwhile, work on extending Khayaban-e-Iqbal, which runs alongside the Margalla Hills, further up to Bari Imam has begun. “Once complete, it will serve as another point for going to Bari Imam,” he said.

Elsewhere, the CDA was given a presentation on the design of a proposed interchange at the 7th Avenue where it meets Khayaban-e-Suharwardy. As designs are discussed and planning done, the Authority is temporarily connecting the avenue with Kashmir Highway with the specific aim of reducing traffic congestion.

“This will help reduce traffic load at Zero Point as motorists will be able to reach Islamabad Highway through the Kashmir Highway in quick time,” the official said.

The consultants have also submitted a design for another interchange on the 9th Avenue where it touches the Kashmir Highway at Peshawar Morr. This project is among 15 the CDA has listed as priority projects.

The CDA has drawn public flak in recent months for failing to complete most of its road projects within the stipulated time. The Authority often passed the buck onto the contractors who in turn cited monsoon rains and problems in removal of underground service lines as the reason for the delay.
Hum Pakistani karna kai chaatein hain? Apnay saath, ish mulk kay saath, aur deen kay saath? - Musharraf

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Islamabad Highway ‘to be converted into expressway’

Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Muhammad Anis

Islamabad

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) is planning to convert the Islamabad Highway into an expressway with construction of over a dozen interchanges and underpasses in the three years, well-placed sources in the civic body told ‘The News’ here on Monday.

Sources said that the CDA Planning Wing is chalking out a plan for provision of five interchanges and seven underpasses. These are in addition to the Zero Point Interchange whose design is under scrutiny by a consultant.

“There would be no traffic signal on Islamabad Highway from Zero Point to Rawat,” a CDA official told ‘The News.’ Sources said that the process for designing interchanges and underpasses from Sector I-8 traffic signal to Karal Chowk (Airport Chowk) has been started. The Capital Development Authority had short-listed nine companies for this purpose.

According to sources, interchanges would be built at Rawat, Karal Chowk and Soan and Khanna bridges. Underpasses are being planned at Sector I-8 traffic signal, Kurri Road, near PWD Housing Scheme, Soan Garden Scheme, Japan Road and Defence Housing Authority (near Commoner’s Town).

CDA sources said that the construction of interchanges and underpasses on Islamabad Highway was one of civic body’s plans to clear six or seven corridors from all traffic hurdles, which mainly include traffic signals.

Sources said that the Islamabad Highway’s plan includes its expansion by one lane each of 12 feet on both sides. These lanes would be rigid lanes meant for flow of heavy traffic. Sources said that the construction of interchanges and underpasses on Islamabad Highway was necessitated by development of housing schemes on both sides.
http://www.thenews.c...il.asp?id=83106

waseem

waseem

Zila Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
Islamabad Expressway work begins

ISLAMABAD: Capital Development Authority (CDA) has started construction work on the project to convert Islamabad Highway into an expressway by constructing 11 underpasses and interchanges to ease the traffic flow, a CDA official said on Wednesday.

He said the authority would construct a concrete road from Faizabad to Rawat to avoid rutting on the main highway that sometimes caused road accidents and hampered traffic flow.

“The Rs 1,676.919 million project includes seven underpasses and four interchanges on the highway from Faizabad Interchange to Rawat. These interchanges and underpasses are in addition to Zero Point Interchange whose design is under scrutiny by a consultant,” he said.

The official said Islamabad Highway would be made signal-free and the project would take around a year for completion. The designing of interchanges and underpasses is in final stage and work on them will be started following their approval by the CDA Board, he said.

The official said the underpasses would be set up at Sector I-8 traffic signal, Kurri Road, near PWD Housing Scheme, Soan Garden Scheme, Japan Road and Defence Housing Authority, while interchanges at Rawat, Karal Chowk and Soan and Khanna bridges.

The CDA, he said, had designed a plan to divert traffic to other roads during the execution of project to ward off the traffic mess.

He said Islamabad Highway plan included its expansion by one lane each of 12 feet on both sides. These lanes would be rigid lanes meant for flow of heavy traffic and separation of heavy and light traffic. app

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Work on Islamabad Expressway in full swing

A dozen interchanges, flyovers to be constructed

ISLAMABAD: Work on the project to convert Islamabad Highway into an expressway by constructing a dozen of underpasses and a flyover to ease ever increasing traffic is in full swing.

A senior Capital Develoment Authority (CDA) official said Thursday the authority would construct a road from Faizabad to Rawat to avoid rush on the main highway which sometimes also caused accidents and disrupted traffic flow.

He said the project would cost Rs 1,676.919 million that included seven underpasses and four interchanges on the highway from Faizabad Interchange to Rawat. These interchanges and flyovers are in addition to the Zero Point Interchange whose design is under scrutiny by a consultant.

"Islamabad Highway will be made signal-free and the project will take more or less a year for completion. The designing of the interchanges and underpasses is in final stages and the work would be started after the approval by the Capital Develoment Authority (CDA) board," the official said.

The authority will start hiring process of contractors for the construction of interchanges and flyovers. It has hired the services of M/s MAAKSON (Pvt) Limited that has started work on the construction of the road.

The official said underpasses were being planned at Sector I-8 traffic signal, Kurri Road near PWD Housing Scheme, Soan Garden Scheme, Japan Road and DHA near Commoner's Town). Interchanges will be built at Rawat, Karal Chowk and Soan and Khanna bridges.

He said the Capital Develoment Authority (CDA) had chalked out a plan to divert traffic during execution of the project and hoped it would not cause much disruption in the flow of traffic. He said Islamabad Highway's plan included its expansion by two lanes each of 12 feet on both sides making the road first five-lane road across the country.

These lanes will be rigid lanes meant for flow of heavy traffic and separation of heavy and light traffic. Fences will be installed on both sides of the road on the pattern of motorway and no turning will be allowed from Faizabad to Airport Chowk.

The project faced too much delay due to one or the other reason as it was expected to be started in 1999 and the completion was expected within a year.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts
I hope they build over 15 pedestrian bridges over the road long before they start killing people. Already many childrens and adults have died on the 7th n 9th avenue! Aghhh....!

Abid Siddiqui

Abid Siddiqui

Naib Zila Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

I hope they build over 15 pedestrian bridges over the road long before they start killing people. Already many childrens and adults have died on the 7th n 9th avenue! Aghhh....!

ITP has installed few boards to not to cross these highways , but people dont have any option, they have to cross for going other side

at the moment there are no pedestrian brdiges at these avenues

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts
Pix MAY 2008

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts
Construction Pix MAY 2008 - ISLAMABAD EXPRESSWAY

2 Lanes being added to the existing highway on each side. They are made by reinforced cement concrete (R.C.C) to provide more strength to the road due to movement of heavy traffic. Work is going at a good pace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:dots:

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Work on a portion ‘to be completed by mid-July’

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) will complete a portion of under-construction Islamabad Expressway by mid-July.

A CDA official told ‘The News’ that the portion of Islamabad Expressway (Islamabad Highway) from Koral Chowk (Airport Chowk) would be commissioned within two months. “Following directives by CDA Chairman Kamran Lashari, we have decided to add another lane and now Islamabad Expressway will have five lanes on both sides,” CDA Director General Works Abdul Jabbar Malano told ‘The News’.

Earlier, the CDA had planned to add only one lane to the existing three lanes on both sides of the highway.

The official said it had been decided that every portion of expressway would be opened for traffic after every one month and the whole project would be completed in one year. The mega road project, costing over Rs1 billion, would have three rigid lanes on both sides, including shoulders of the road.

The contract for the project was awarded to the Maaksons, which also constructed major part of 9th Avenue and Islamabad Highway from G T Road (Rawat) to Koral Chowk.

It has also been learnt that for the first time, the civic body, with approval of the CDA board, has decided to reward the construction company if it completes the project before time while the clause of penalty of 10% is already included in terms and conditions signed with contractors.

“So far, the progress of work on Islamabad Expressway is according to schedule and first portion would be completed by the middle of July,” the official said.

As a long-term planning, the CDA is also considering to construct underpasses at all crossings and intersections up to Zero Point, making it a traffic signal-free expressway.

After Islamabad Expressway, the CDA is getting ready to start work on expansion of Kashmir Highway to five lanes on both sides. “We are planning to start work on the Zero Point interchange and expansion and rehabilitation of Kashmir Highway simultaneously,” Abdul Jabbar Malano said. Both projects would cost around Rs5 billion.

The Kashmir Highway project, which would be completed in one year, would have three rigid lanes on both sides to cope with heavy traffic coming from other cities. “This would increase life and durability of road,” the official said.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts

Islamabad Highway made single lane

RAWALPINDI: Owing to construction being carried out on Islamabad Highway, the road has been temporarily made a single lane.

Traffic Police SSP Inayatullah Farooq told reporters that traffic from Kutcheri Chowk to Ammar Chowk will run on the single road until the completion of the project. He advised the respective road users to follow lane rules and refrain from overtaking on to avoid accidents. Traffic cops have been deployed on the route to manage traffic and motorists have been asked to travel on alternative routes to reach Islamabad Airport.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts
Bridge after crossing the Airport Road junction. Nicely captured!
Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,363 posts
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Islamabad Highway, Islamabad Expressway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users