Welcome to .::UrbanPK::.
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

Arkitect I Urbanist I Photographer I Cyclist

• Management
  • 16,389 posts
  • Interests:Arkitechture, Photography, Bicylcing, Net Surfing!
Designed by: N/A
Construction Date: N/A
Completion Date: N/A
Excavation Initiation Date: N/A
Excavation Completion Date: N/A
Client: N/A
Custodians: Department of Archaeology & Museums, Government of Pakistan
Contractors: N/A
Building Style: Colonial Architecture
Building Type: Public/Transportation
Building Usage: Railway Station
Height::
No. of Blocks: N/A
Area: N/A
Floors Above Ground: 2
Floors Under Ground: 0
No. of Platforms: 9
Location: Railway Station, Near Naulakha Church, Lahore, Punjab

Description:

The Lahore Railway Station was built by the British colonists. It is representative of typical grand British architecture in the South Asia during the British Raj. The railway network established by the British was very extensive and is one of their lasting contributions to the culture and infrastructure of this region.
The railway station has 11 platforms (1 to 9, with 2 extra platforms, 3A and 6A). Platform No. 1 has got a special importance, as this platform is the destination of "Samjhota Express", the train service between Pakistan and India. The same train also leaves for India from the same platform.
The railway station has got all the facilities which a big station like it must possess. One can see few food stalls, book agencies, drink corners, etc on every platform. Some foreign restaurants (like McDonald's and Pizza Hut) have their branches at platform No. 2.

Source: Wikipedia

Site Plan: N/A
Coordinates: 31.5765462,74.3358531
Google Image: Image

Edited by Mehdi Chohan, 02 August 2014 - 05:34 AM.
Info Updated!

fb513ed61e7e4dd39b9dc2d859be413f.gifi.gif?e=eyJhdiI6MjMwMzcsImF0Ijo0LCJjbSI6

'RANA DESIGN CONSULTANTS'
Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Follow us on here and refer us for any design work!

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,389 posts

Lahore Railway Station to be renovated

29-03-07
LAHORE: The Pakistan Railways (PR) will renovate the Lahore Railway Station while keeping its original structure intact.

PR general manager Asad Saeed has visited the station and has asked PR superintendent (Lahore division) Muhammad Khalid to restore the structure in its original shape.

The station was built during the British Raj in the 19th century.

PR authorities have shut down the antique ventilators of the station because the rainwater poured in from them and accumulated on the platforms. Authorities have also painted on the antique doors and windows of the station instead of polishing them. The station’s ceiling, made of wood, has now been covered with plastic sheets.

Railways Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed a week ago told the general manger to restore the station in its original form.

Muhammad Khalid said restoration work on the station would start on Friday (today) and that the railway would use its own funds for it. He said the general manager had also visited the platforms and checked all tracks and had told authorities to change the tracks of platforms numbers 3, 3A, 6, 6A. He said the general manager had also showed concern over the hanging electric wires and asked authorities to first check all wires and then fix them underground.

“Asad Saeed has also asked authorities to renovate and upgrade the second-class waiting rooms and provide more facilities to passengers,” he said, adding that the renovation and restoration process would take about six months.

Asad Saeed said the railway minister had asked him to inspect all railway stations in Pakistan. “We want to make the Lahore Railway Station the best in the world, as it was in the past,” he said.

Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,389 posts

Railway Station improvement project put in cold storage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAHORE: The Pakistan railways authorities have shelved the building of multipurpose passenger hall and Lahore Railway Station remodeling project with the end of the tenure of former Federal Minister for Railways Sheikh Rashid Ahmed and all the construction work has halted just after the last day of former minister.

The railways minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed on November 14, 2007 unveil the plaque for the construction of multipurpose passenger hall at Lahore Railway station and it was the planned that passengers would be facilitated through provision of this hall as it would have an air-conditioned waiting room as well as current and advance booking facility here. It was planned that the railway advance booking office would be shifted to this multipurpose passenger hall so that passengers could avail the facility of current and advance booking at a single roof and their botherations could be reduced. But after passing of more than three months, the construction work there has been stopped and decision makers have stopped thinking about the project as there is no chance of the former minister's return to the slot.

The sorry side of the issue is that the foundation work and even 30 per cent building pillars work has been completed and a handsome amount has already been spent. Moreover, now with rise in the construction material and other cost, the estimated amount has shot up to three times of the previous estimates.

It is also notable here that the work on the project was initiated almost one month prior to the plaque formal unveil and the basic design of the hall was changed several times and a huge amount was paid to the architects. The sources at the Divisional Superintendent Office Lahore told The Post that there are no chances of start of work at the project unless new railway minister takes charge of railways ministry as the railway high ups were reluctant to carry on the projects envisaged by the former railway minister Sh Rashid. Here it is also worthy to mention that the Pakistan Railways (PR) also planned to renovate the Lahore Railway Station built during the British Raj in the 19th century while keeping its original structure intact. During the course of renovation, PR authorities shut down the antique ventilators of the station because the rainwater poured in from them and accumulated on the platforms. A flower shop at the Lahore Railway Station was also set up besides doing other renovation works. It was also under consideration to remodel all roads leading to Lahore Railway Station to streamline the flow of traffic and restore Lahore Railway station beauty besides providing clear roads facility to the passengers.

When The Post contacted the Divisional Superintendent Lahore Abdul Jabbar to get clear picture of the scene, he said that the project was stopped owing to some changes in the basic design of the multipurpose passenger hall which was the part of the project of remodeling the Lahore Railway Station building and surrounding roads. In reply to the question that it was the impression that the project has been dropped as it was being under taken under the desires and vision of former Federal Railways Minister, he said that the project has not been dropped and as he had assumed charge of the post recently he had not detailed information about it. He however, said that the project would be restarted very soon.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,389 posts
Pix:

Lahore%20-%20Railway%20Station%20-%20Fro

Ibrahim_Munir

Ibrahim_Munir

Zila Nazim

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

The people sitting at the edge of the platform.. to much risk they are taking..
Best Regards

Ibrahim Munir
Doha, QATAR

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,389 posts
Exterior

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Courtesy: APP Photographers

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,389 posts
OCT 2009

I seriously would like to know why this parks entrances have been wired and closed? I have passed by this park many times and for the last four years this has been closed. There are a number of question which arise looking at the image. What is the purpose of this green patch which has been landscaped to form a garden? Is it a visual garden and is it only designed to be watched from a distance? What kind of a public realm is this? This landscaped area is maintained by the PHA regularly. This is one of the very few large open spaces available adjacent to old neighbourhood cum commercial settlement of older Lahore. People come and use it during day and night, in summers and winters to enjoy the openess, greenry and vibrant space around it. So what what is the issue of having the entrances blocked then?

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,389 posts
NOV 2009

212135bfaa9f62b0d39ec0f345304366.jpg

Lahore_railway_station.jpg

People_on_the_platform2.jpg

People_on_the_platform.jpg

Train_platform.jpg

Train_tracks.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Railway Station, Railway Station Lahore, Low-Rise Building, Colonial Architecture, Colonial Era Architecture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users