Welcome to .::UrbanPK::.
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rawalpindi: Ring Road

G.T.Road/Peshawar Road RRR M-2 Rawalpindi Ring Road Ring Road

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

Arkitect I Urbanist I Photographer I Cyclist

• Management
  • 16,231 posts
  • Interests:Arkitechture, Photography, Bicylcing, Net Surfing!
Designed by: Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA)
Contractors: N/A
Infrastructure Type: Roads/Highway/Urban Bypass
Construction Date: N/A
Completion Date: N/A

Render: N/A
Description: N/A
Site Plan: N/A
Google Image: N/A

Attached Files

Edited by Mehdi Chohan, 30 June 2014 - 12:49 AM.
Info Updated!

fb513ed61e7e4dd39b9dc2d859be413f.gifi.gif?e=eyJhdiI6MjMwMzcsImF0Ijo0LCJjbSI6

'RANA DESIGN CONSULTANTS'
Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Follow us on here and refer us for any design work!

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

Ring Road project gets the nod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAWALPINDI, Aug 17: Another mega project worth Rs2.5 billion for Rawalpindi is in the offing as President Gen Pervez Musharraf has given a nod to the preparation of a feasibility report on the much-awaited Ring Road.

The project was proposed 16 years ago but could not materialise as a large portion of the land, owned by a provincial minister, had to be acquired.

The 32km long road would be built from Golra Mor to Rawat and would be the longest inner city road. It will connect rural areas with the urban settlement. The road would provide an alternative route to the traffic coming from other cities and would decrease the load in the city areas.

City Nazim Raja Javed Ikhlas told Dawn on Friday that the execution of the project had always been a difficult task for the authorities, however, President Gen Musharraf extended his full support to it.

The Provincial Highway Department would execute the project although the Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA) had conducted the feasibility and prepared PC-I of the project.

The Ring Road project, also known as Range Road, was conceived in 1992 in a move to divert the flow of vehicular traffic entering Rawalpindi from cities like Lahore, Attock, Peshawar and southern Punjab.

The construction of Ring Road has been a long demand of the residents of rural areas who face difficulty in reaching the city particularly when visiting hospitals.

The project was not only controversial but also an uphill task for the authorities in terms of acquisition of land and funding.

The RDA prepared the PC-I of the project twice but could not start work on it due to political intervention as the land that was to be acquired was owned by a local influential.

The road would now be re-routed and would encircle Rawalpindi city. However it would not affect the commercial areas or residential localities, rather a major portion of the barren land would be acquired for its construction.

When asked Mr Ikhlas said the affected people would be given compensation according to market rates, adding that no village would be bulldozed.

He said the Ring Road would open a new avenue for commercial activities in the suburbs of Rawalpindi and would serve as an access road to the residents of rural areas.

The executive district officer (EDO) finance, Saqib Zafar, told Dawn that the provincial government had been asked to release funds for the preparation of feasibility report and PC-I of the project as directed by President Musharraf.

The president has also agreed to carry out the ground- breaking of the mega project

Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

Rawalpindi Ring Road, economic zone projects

Submitted by Overseas on Sun, 11/30/2008 - 18:54

Punjab to give Rs5 billion for land acquisition

By Amin Ahmed

RAWALPINDI, Nov 28: The Punjab government is expected to provide Rs5 billion as seed money to acquire land for Rawalpindi Ring Road project and the economic zone, two projects finalised by the Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA), official sources told Dawn.

The capital cost of the two projects has been estimated at Rs18 billion and is expected to be completed on the basis of build, operate and transfer (BOT) and public-private partnership in a period of four years, the sources said.

The seed money will be returned to the Punjab government within a period of 15 years in installments. The projects have been evaluated and approved by the Punjab government, they said.

According to sources, the Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA) would be able to generate Rs29.04 billion from the sale of plots in economic zone. The zone is likely to be established near Rawat to have links with G.T. Road as well as the motorway.

On the other hand, Rawalpindi Ring Road will have a total length of 48kms and its alignment would start from Rawat via Adiala Road, Dhamial Road, Girja Road, Chakri Road, Misrial Road up to I-15, G.T. Road and new Islamabad International Airport, sources said.

They said the Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA) would acquire 1,084 acres for the Ring Road project. A land-sharing formula was being worked out under which for every four kanals donated by the affected people falling in the alignment will get half a kanal in the economic zone. Ring Road will also serve as an outer boundary of Rawalpindi to regulate the growth of city.

The two key projects will have far-reaching effects on the development of Rawalpindi district which is deficient in all respects. The projects will also increase economic activities around the zone.

Water is a major factor which is hindering the development of agriculture in the entire district. The only source of water in the district being located in Potohar region is rain. The total amount of rain received by Rawalpindi is hardly sufficient for crops for individual domestic use. Construction of small dams would not only help increase agricultural activities but also save water from being run-off.

The economic zone would be a major source of income-generation, employment and improvement in the living standard of the people living in the rural areas of the district. The projects would open new vistas of development and economic well-being of the district.

The ring road is the basic need for the environment of Rawalpindi. Currently, heavy transport carrying goods from Khyber to Karachi pass through Rawalpindi putting the entire infrastructure under pressure.

The proposed Ring Road will not only ease pressure on Rawalpindi roads but help reduce pollution.
Source: Daily Dawn, 30/11/2008

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

Ring Road Project to launch in August

RAWALPINDI: Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA) is set to launch the Rs18 billion Ring Road Project in the last week of August this year.

Sources told Daily Times on Monday that the feasibility study would be started in March and completed within five months. Three firms have been short-listed for the feasibility that would be contracted out to the successful firm within next two weeks.

The firm would be asked to also conduct feasibility on the Economic Zone along Ring Road to promote and encourage industrial growth. The Punjab government has allocated Rs20 million for the feasibility studies on Ring Road and Economic Zone.

Around 1,084 acres would be purchased for construction of road and another 1,050 acres for the Economic Zone. Each affected person or family would get half kanal land in the Economic Zone in compensation for every four kanals.

Project history: The project, approved by the PML-N government in the Punjab in 1998, was awarded to an Australian company but it could not be launched due to the Oct 18, 1999 military coup.

The firm had the first design of the four-land Ring Road in hand but continuous delay allowed massive constructions in the project area.

The sources said that there was a growing awareness among the Pindi residents that any further delay in the launch of the project would worsen the city’s traffic problem leading to a virtual jamming of traffic on almost all roads.

According to a traffic study conducted by RDA, around 0.2 million vehicles with around 0.8 million commuters on board will not have to pass through the traffic jungle on Benazir Bhutto Shaheed Road, Airport Road and IJ Principal Road after the completion of the project. The road would provide over 1.50 million people with an easy access to Islamabad and New Islamabad Airport.

It would also contribute towards minimizing environmental degradation and cutting down consumption of fuel most of which goes down the drain while standing in never-ending traffic snarls.

Skyscraper_guy

Skyscraper_guy

Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
Proposed Route of Rawalpindi Ring Road. Found it on Lahore Real Estate dot com.

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts
Thanx for sharing!

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

Rawalpindi needs a ring road

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All major cities of country like Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar and Gujranwala etc have ring roads or bypasses, but unfortunately Rawalpindi does not have one. Rawalpindi is a major garrison city and is growing day-by-day in all direction especially in South East side where there is no proper big road like Peshawar Road or Murree Road. Traffic on roads in this area has become very heavy because the old roads are narrow and are not well maintained. All traffic coming from NWFP and going towards Central Punjab, and vice versa, has to pass through the city especially cantonment area, which makes further mess of the already clogged traffic. Moreover, this is also a great security concern. Various previous governments since 1992 announced a ring road, but nothing has been done practically so far. This is the joint responsibility of both federal and provincial government to construct a ring road from Rawat to Tarnol, as Rawalpindi is also sharing the load of population of federal capital. New avenues for proper housing schemes and industrial areas will open after the construction of a ring road.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

London-based firm asked for feasibility report

City managers have decided to award contract to Mott McDonald Pakistan (MMP), a London-based consultant firm, to conduct feasibility report of the Ring Road II project.
The official sources informed TheNation here on Monday that the contract worth Rs19 million, between RDA and MMP, would be signed within a week as the final negotiations are underway with the said company.
The company (MMP) has also been asked to thoroughly review the feasibility report and master plan prepared in 1998 and submit its detailed report till December 2009. As per official agreement, consultants would also cover matters pertaining to the land acquisition, appropriate sight for the establishment of economic zone, other possible hurdles and civic problems expected in the near future in the implementation of this project and would produce their recommendations in this effect.
It is pertinent to note that initially three firms had been short-listed but at last MMP have been contracted out. Official sources said that Planning and Development Department Punjab (PDDP) has posted a letter bearing number pppc/422 to RDA in which it has termed the 48km long Public and Private Partnership project Ring Road II as the best project of 2009 in the province.
PDDP has requested the provincial government to assure all possible support to RDA in the implementation of this mega project, paying heed to this request Chief Minister (CM) Punjab has allocated Rs20 million to RDA for the preparation of feasibility report.
The firm has also been asked to conduct feasibility on the Economic Zone along Ring Road II to promote industrial growth. RDA authorities would acquire as many as 2134 acres land, 1015 acres for Economic Zone and 1050 and 1084 for construction of road. Affectees would get half kanal land in compensation against every four kanals.
“The main hurdle in the way of implementation of this mega project is the land acquisition, after the submission of feasibility report RDA would carry out drive of land acquisition, when this process will conclude then the project will take 3-4 years to complete,” sources informed.
“As it is a public private Partnership project and owing to the political instability and worsening law and order situation in the country investors are reluctant to invest hefty amounts and this hurdle causing a delay in the implementation of this project, however, now as the provincial government and RDA both have accordance and agreed on it so the project will be started soon,” it further added.
It is worth-mentioning that in 1998 the then PML-N government had initiated the project under Ring Road and RDA officials had also prepared feasibility report and the PC-I of the project but than different factors including political intervention in the acquirement of land for the project and the 1999 military coup created hurdles in perusing the project by RDA.
After the hectic efforts of RDA Director General Makeen Shahbaz, incumbent PML-N provincial government has given a nod to this project again under the name Ring Road II. The 48 km Ring Road II would commence from Rawat junction at Islamabad Expressway and terminate at Chakara.
When asked why RDA was going to conduct new feasibility report as previous government had also spent million of rupees to prepare PC-I and feasibility, sources said that the massive construction and establishment of hundreds of new residential societies on the route of project have completely changed the ground realities so a new survey report was must.
According to available traffic study statistics with the RDA, after the completion of this project around 0.19 million vehicles will not have to pass through the IJ Principal Road, Benazir Bhutto Road and Airport Road. The road would provide over 1.50 million people an easy access to Islamabad and proposed New Islamabad Airport. Regarding the estimated cost on the project sources said that it would be clear after the completion of feasibility study, however, in 1998 it was estimated that an amount of Rs12 billion would be required for the project but now the amount has gone up to Rs20 billion.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

Feasibility of 6-lane Ring Road prepared

The feasibility report and PC-1 has been prepared for 54 kilometer long 6 lane Ring road II (City play ward).

As per details, Rs 20 million has been given to the company to prepare the feasibility report. The project would be accomplished with cooperation of Public Transport Partnership. Economic zones would be constructed with the road. The width of the road would be 300 feet while; 1084-acre land would be acquired for the project.

Sources told that 1050-acre land would be acquired for economic zones. Rs 28 billion would spend for acquiring the land. The Ring road would start from Chini Sher Aalam Khan and would pass through economic zone, Adiala road, Dhamiyaal road, Girja road, Chakri road and Misriyal road.

KMMalik

KMMalik

Naib Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I hope our next generation could drive on this Ring Road proposed about two decades ago, different administrations have been studying this projects, new feasibilities, new committees etc etc and then..............nothing
Net Surfer

aliee

aliee

Naib Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
wow nice sharing its Rawalpindi my Rawalpindi!! :)

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

PC-I of Ring Road in Pindi completed

The initial spade word of Rs 56 billion Ring Road project has been completed and PC-1 of the project has been handed over to Director General Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA) the other day.

An official of RDA confided that the purpose of having the road running along the outer boundary of Rawalpindi is to regulate the growth of the city and lessen traffic pressure on the already congested roads.

Besides, it may provide a faster access to the far-off areas. The project is aimed at providing cheap access to twin city dwellers and areas like Chakri and Adiala as they had to pass all through the downtown which not only caused inconvenience to the people but also added to the traffic congestion.

The intercity traffic will pass Rawalpindi without touching city areas, he said adding that Rs20 million has been paid to feasibility preparing company, he said. A total of three interlinks would be constructed at Pirvadhai morr, Rawat and I-14 and same number of flyovers has been planned for the ring road project.

The construction would be carried out in collaboration with private sector. Rs 20 billion would be spent for constructing road, Rs 13 billion has been allocated for developing economic zones along with ring road. Rs 4 billion for infrastructure completion. The 70 km long road would be 800 feet wide. Road would be constructed on 300 feet while 250 feet space has been earmarked for commercial activities, he said adding that the project would be completed through public- private partnership.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts
Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,231 posts

Pending construction: The missing links in the Ring Road project

As traffic problems continue to multiply, the residents of Rawalpindi will have to patiently wait for any progress on Ring Road, because the Punjab government has been unable to get any financial support for the project.

Proposed in 1991, the project has been pending due to lack of investor interest. Last year, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif took the proposal to China and discussed the idea of build-operate-transfer (BOT) criteria, but could not attract any investors. Under the agreement, the investor will build the project, operate it (thus receiving any revenue from it) and later transfer it to government when it wants.

“No foreign investors expressed interest in the multibillion rupee project, which is said to be an essential part of Rawalpindi’s road infrastructure,” said a district administration official.

The project aims to link the rural population with the city and cantonment areas in Rawalpindi. The project would also ease shifting industrial activity outside city limits. The road would start from Channi Sher Alam near Rawat town and cross Girja Road and Chakri Road besides stretching towards the under-construction new Islamabad airport at Fateh Jang.

During the last 20 years, no government opposed the idea as it was necessary to shift interprovincial and inter-district transport off the city’s main arteries. However, the concerned authorities could not arrange finances for the Rs70 billion project.

According to the revenue authorities involved in the project, around Rs25 billion were needed to purchase land and compensate people whose properties would need to be demolished to make way for the road.

In a meeting in Rawalpindi two years ago, top bureaucrats directed city managers to reduce the length and width of the road to cut costs. However, some PML-N lawmakers did not accept the proposal, as it would deprive several rural areas of access to the facility. The length of the proposed road, according to the 1992 and 1997 feasibility reports, was 40km and 55km respectively. However, the fresh feasibility report estimates it at 70km.

Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA) Managing Director (DG) Chaudhry Naseer Ahmed said his department had continually been trying to win over investors, be they local or foreign, as the idea originated by RDA was to ease the traffic burden on city roads.

He said that at present, the RDA was in contact with a local investor and trying to convince him to accept the build-own-operate formula, but no positive response had been received. The DG added that National Highways or the CDA should also show interest in the project as it would also ease pressure on the roads of the federal capital.

KMMalik

KMMalik

Naib Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I don't have any hope this proposed Ring Road will be built or even started at least 10 more years.
Net Surfer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: G.T.Road/Peshawar Road, RRR, M-2, Rawalpindi Ring Road, Ring Road

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users