Welcome to .::UrbanPK::.
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Umair Ahmed

Umair Ahmed

Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Tourism, Photography etc
Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___06.jpg   246.84KB   1 downloads
As you all can see they are planning to make the 9th avenue to have 8 lanes and the crossing!
The girders for the bridges are complete and need only to be placed.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___07.jpg   287.1KB   1 downloads
As you can see here the left track is a bit more ready rather than the other.
The left slip road is though unfinished.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___08.jpg   300.91KB   1 downloads
Over here you all can see the left slip road, having only the base concrete laid.
In the distance one can see the 2 rigid lanes added to the IJP road.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___09.jpg   266.79KB   0 downloads
The service road has also seen a bit of attention.
I hope that they also rehabilitate it, as it can become an important link with Pirwadhai.
One can see the mixing plant on the other side od the bridge.
Also they are constructing embankments on the Nullah, quiet huge though, couldn't get there too much mud!

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___10.jpg   216.32KB   0 downloads
The IJP road on the other side of the crossing.

Umair Ahmed

Umair Ahmed

Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___11.jpg   373.01KB   0 downloads
The bridge extension on the left track.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___12.jpg   292.9KB   0 downloads
The embankment being constructed on the Nullah...
pretty big in comparison to the amount of flow in the Nullah...

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___13.jpg   358.49KB   0 downloads
Removing the earth from the Nullah near the bridge.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___14.jpg   206.55KB   0 downloads
Another view of the embankment in the distance.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___15.jpg   334.78KB   0 downloads
A clearer view of the Nullah.

Umair Ahmed

Umair Ahmed

Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___16.jpg   302.68KB   0 downloads
The left track after the bridge, hasn't been added with any additional lane.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___17.jpg   250.98KB   0 downloads
The right track after the bridge has the concrete base laid out.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___18.jpg   284.97KB   0 downloads
The view of the right track and the crossing.

Attached File  9th_Avenue___JAN_2009___IJP_Crossing___19.jpg   616.9KB   0 downloads
The status of the extension of right track of the Nullah bridge.

Well these conclude of the 19 pics i took today...

RANA AAA

RANA AAA

Deputy Chief Minister

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
nice pictures man u cover up the whole road

Abid Siddiqui

Abid Siddiqui

Naib Zila Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
good pics

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

Arkitect I Urbanist I Photographer I Cyclist

• Management
  • 16,532 posts
  • Interests:Arkitechture, Photography, Bicylcing, Net Surfing!
Great work man! U have done a lot of homework on this project!

Keep it up!

fb513ed61e7e4dd39b9dc2d859be413f.gifi.gif?e=eyJhdiI6MjMwMzcsImF0Ijo0LCJjbSI6

'RANA DESIGN CONSULTANTS'
Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Follow us on here and refer us for any design work!

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts
SEP 2009

Still no priorities given to the pedestrian and cyclist. There are no pedestrian overhead bridges although the avenue has been completed long ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:dots:

Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

9th Avenue flyover in the offing

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) will construct a flyover on 9th Avenue near Peshawar Morr to ensure smooth flow of traffic in the area, while work on the road between Peshawar Morr and Zero Point would be completed within stipulated time period.

Chairman CDA Engineer Farkhand Iqbal said this on the occasion of his visit to Kashmir Highway to review the progress on development activities on Friday. He said, “Sufficient storage of water was available to meet the requirement of the city. However, hour-long power outages cause hindrance in supply of water from tube-wells.”

He said, that in the presence of President Asif Ali Zardari, CDA has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), with Chinese company regarding supply of 200 million gallon of water from Ghazi Barotha water reservoir to the twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi on daily basis. To cope with the energy crisis, the chairman CDA said that CDA would introduce solar energy system as an alternative energy resource.

He said that the tube-well would be operated on solar energy enabling the authority to save millions of rupee.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Metro bus project: Facing the axe: widening of avenues will eat up green belts

Published: March 10, 2014

680904-metrobuses-1394412212-101-640x480

Tree-lined avenues will become a thing of the past if the proposed routes for the metro bus are approved. PHOTO: EXPRESS/ ZAHOORUL HAQ.

ISLAMABAD: 

It seems as if the capital’s distinction as the country’s only planned city is set to be erased. That is, if a proposal to steamroll routes for the planned metro bus service for the twin cities isn’t challenged in time.

Tree-lined avenues will become a thing of the past and Islamabad will lose its leafy-green character if the proposed routes for the metro bus are approved.

Despite resistance from the capital’s civic agency, the Lahore-based project consultant has yet to address concerns about expansion of avenues and consequent destruction of green belts in violation of the master plan. The consultant has recently forwarded a plan detailing route alignment for the project.

Nespak has proposed the expansion of 9th Avenue and Jinnah Avenue, which involves the elimination of a green belt stretching over hundreds of acres east of Agha Shahi Avenue, commonly known as 9th Avenue, and west of sectors I-8, H-8 and G-8, if the plan is approved.

After flaws in the design were pointed out by the CDA’s planning wing, officials were rendered speechless by Nespak’s answer. “The Lahore Development Authority never pointed out such lacunas during the design phase of the Lahore Metro Bus project,” CDA officials were told.

Instead of addressing the reservations on technical grounds, Nespak officials replied that they had to follow deadlines given by the Punjab government, said a CDA board member.

According to the plan, the IJP Road carriageway of 9th Avenue will be converted into a dedicated corridor for the metro bus, while an additional three lanes will be carved out from the green belt along 9th Avenue to accommodate traffic heading towards IJP Road from Kashmir Highway.

The CDA objected to the plan, positing that Nespak could use the 7.2 metre wide median on 9th Avenue instead of destroying the green belt.

“In line with international standards, seven metres is enough to carve two lanes out of,” the member said. He said instead of incorporating the suggestion, Nespak informed the CDA in writing that “plans to this effect have already been finalised.”

The official said Islamabad’s master plan not only provides for conservation of greenbelts but also identifies greenbelts on both sides of 9th Avenue.

“Jinnah Avenue will be widened up to six metres on both sides,” states the plan. This entails destroying the green median on both sides of the road, while a dedicated corridor for the metro bus will also eat up the emergency lanes on both sides of Jinnah Avenue.

“We have suggested Ibn-e-Sina Road be used as an alternative route in place of Jinnah Avenue. The metro bus can pass through Fazl-e-Haq Road and enter Jinnah Avenue to reach its final destination, Pak Secretariat,” the official said.

“The Islamabad master plan also identifies the same route to facilitate commuters to Pims and Sector G-8.” The amendment was incorporated at a time a bus rapid transit system was being considered for the capital. That plan would have cost a fraction of the metro bus project.”

A CDA official said Nespak officials designed the route while sitting in their Lahore office without conducting any pre-feasibility or feasibility studies. Nespak will receive Rs 1.3 billion as consultancy fee — 3.5 per cent of the project’s total estimated cost of Rs38 billion.

Nespak Project Manager Danish Raza said the firm was finalising the route alignment in consultation with the CDA. Raza shifted responsibility for designing the route to the CDA, saying it was purely related to the civic agency and that Nespak was only suggesting possible routes.

In reply to a question about the reasons Nespak did not carry out a feasibility study despite the fact it would earn billions from the project, Raza declined to answer, saying he was not allowed to speak to the media.

In a January meeting chaired by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to finalise preparations for project, it was decided that the Rawalpindi Development Authority would be the executing agency for the project, effectively limiting the CDA’s role.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 10th, 2014.

http://tribune.com.p...up-green-belts/

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Rawalpindi : The planners of the metro bus project, it seems, are listening. The Punjab government, taking note of the criticism by political opponents, decided not to repeat the ‘mistakes’ made in the Lahore metro bus project.

Chaudhry Pervaiz Illahi’s quip of ‘jangla bus service’, Imran Khan’s recent critique of the project being unfuturistic and Sheikh Rasheed’s plea in favour of Leh Expressway have been taken seriously.

There is no fence this time along major part of the Rawalpindi-Islamabad Metro Bus Service (MBS) route, Leh Expressway has a go-ahead and there is a provision of transit train service in the existing plan, according to a top official managing the project.

“In the past critics would term the metro bus as jangla bus service which is why this time 20-inch median will replace the fences,” said Rawalpindi Commissioner Zahid Saeed during a media briefing on Friday.

The road will be designed in such a way that when the passenger load increases in future, the road can be used for transit train service for which no redesigning will be required, he informed.

The project that will be inaugurated on Sunday in Rawalpindi will cater to an estimated 153,000 passengers daily. Initially 60 buses will ferry passengers. Each bus will leave the station after every two minutes, according to Saeed.

The commissioner informed that cost of the project increased by Rs6.75 billion due to addition of an interchange at the Peshawar Morr to ensure signal free traffic.

“Earlier we planned to construct an underpass at Peshawar Morr but the Capital Development Authority (CDA) said it will disturb the master plan.”

Commissioner Saeed said the federal government will pay Rs4.94 billion while the remaining Rs1.81 billion will come from the project to finance the interchange.

Giving details of the project, he said a new and wider bridge on Leh Nullah near Mareer Bridge will be constructed by demolishing the old one. There will be a distance of 30 meters between each pillar to be constructed in middle of the road.
“However, near the Committee Chowk underpass the size of the pillars will be reduced from 1.4 to one meter and distance also to 15 meters,” the commissioner said.

The elevated bridge will turn right near Chandni Chowk flyover and drift to middle of the road after the Sixth Road.
Underpasses will be constructed for pedestrians for crossing of roads in localities such as Chandni Chowk flyover and Blue Area. Ninth and Seventh avenues and flyover near Centaurus Mall will be widened on both sides.
After every kilometres, there will be a station — 10 in Rawalpindi and 14 in Islamabad.
Talking about a major concern, he said not a single tree will be felled from the green belts.
Special spaces for parking the broken down vehicles also planned along the MBS routes.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 22nd, 2014.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Metro bus project: Over 1,000 trees face the axe

By Danish Hussain / Photo: Muhammad Javaid
Published: March 27, 2014

687723-Trees-1395856280-780-640x480.JPG

The trees that define the capital will be mowed down if the proposed violations are approved. PHOTO: MUHAMMAD JAVAID/EXPRESS

ISLAMABAD: 
Flawed route alignment for the twin cities’ metro bus if implemented, will cost the leafy capital around 1,040 trees aged two to 40 years.

According to the Capital Development Authority’s (CDA) Environment Wing calculations, out of 1,040 trees some 240 including 85 pine trees are of age 40 years and above. Most of these 240 trees are located along Jinnah Avenue and fall within the approved route alignment of the bus project.
There are 800 trees on a greenbelt located between the 8-series sectors and the 9th Avenue. These trees are of age between two to four years. Out of these 800 some 180 are young pine trees.
“In the greenbelt located between Peshawar Mor and IJP Road there are some 650 young trees of different species, including rosewood, pine, fiddlewood and amaltas,” said a senior official of the CDA Environment Wing, who declined to be named. The trees were planted after the construction of 9th Avenue in 2009. Trees located along Jinnah Avenue are older than 40 years, he added.
CDA has no plan to deal with the proposed master plan violation. The officer, who has been serving in the Environment Wing for years, said in reply to a question, “It’s possible to relocate younger trees. But it involves great expertise, resources and funds, which the CDA lacks.”
The relocation of trees older than 30 years is almost impossible as the CDA does not have the expertise, he said. “During the construction of the Zero Point Interchange, CDA relocated around 20 pine trees to Arts and Craft Village near Shakarparian and other places. But they did not survive.” The rate of survival of relocated old trees drops to around 40 per cent, he added.
Nespak, which designed the project, has proposed the expansion of 9th Avenue and Jinnah Avenue to develop a dedicated corridor for the metro bus, which involves the elimination of a green belt stretching over hundreds of acres east of Agha Shahi Avenue, commonly known as 9th Avenue, and west of sectors I-8, H-8 and G-8. The consultant has suggested widening Jinnah Avenue up to six feet on either side.
To avoid bulldozing the greenbelt, CDA had asked Nespak to incorporate the central median on 9th Avenue to develop a corridor for the metro bus, instead of uprooting whole greenbelts and hundreds of young trees. To their surprise, Nespak refused to even consider the suggestion and informed the CDA that the design had already been approved and incorporating the changes was not possible.
A senior most officer of the Environment Wing said ‘high-ups’ had directed him to not to speak about the project to the media, but he did say said the CDA had decided to relocate all the trees which fall in the proposed route of the project.
He claimed that not even a single tree would be uprooted along Jinnah Avenue, while trees along 9th Avenue would be relocated. When asked about the rate of survival of relocated trees, he claimed it was above 80 per cent.
Relevant officers of CDA’s Environment Wing refused to talk on the record on the issue.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 27th, 2014.

http://tribune.com.p...s-face-the-axe/

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Cost or benefit?: Fate of over 1,000 trees hangs in the balance

By Danish Hussain
Published: April 3, 2014

690613-Metrobus-1396498902-178-640x480.J

File photo of a metro bus. PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD: 
In a grand, green sacrifice for mass public transit, some 1,000 trees in the capital city can expect to be to the ‘gallows’.

A public hearing will be held at the Jinnah Convention Centre on May 3 by the Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency (Pak-EPA), prior to a verdict on the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) report of the Islamabad section of Metro Bus Project.
“All stakeholders, including the interested or affected persons and the general public are invited to comment for or against granting environment approval for the project,” reads a public notice published by the Pak-EPA.
The notice further informed that a detailed EIA report submitted by the Capital Development Authority (CDA) on behalf of the Rawalpindi Development Authority (RDA) — the executing agency for the project — can be obtained from the Pak-EPA office in Sector H-8/2, or the office of the RDA chief engineer in Rawalpindi.
61.jpg?w=625
Furthermore, stakeholders and the public can submit their comments with the office of the deputy director (EIA/monitoring) until April 17, two weeks ahead of the hearing.
On March 13, National Engineering Services Pakistan (Nespak) — the project consultant — submitted an EIA report to Pak-EPA for approval.
Nespak is a major stakeholder in the project as it will be paid almost 3.5 per cent of the total cost of the project as consultancy fees. Earlier, reports suggested that the EIA report was intentionally made favourable for the project, ignoring many adverse effects on the environment.
Upon receipt of the document, however, Pak-EPA raised some 12 objections over it.
Nespak Changes Design to Save Decades-Old trees
After the CDA chairman’s bold step of categorically stating that the civic agency would not allow the felling of decades-old pine trees falling within the project’s route alignment along Jinnah Avenue, Nespak made considerable changes to the project design.
After this issue was reported by The Express Tribune, the chairman asked Nespak during a meeting last week to change the route alignment along Jinnah Avenue as some 250 pine trees — all over 40 years old — would have to be removed if the initial plan was implemented. “Now, instead of adding two new lanes on each side of the existing Jinnah Avenue, only one 12-foot wide lane will be added to each side,” said a Nespak official requesting anonymity.
In this way, two-and-a-half lanes on Jinnah Avenue would be available for general traffic.
However, the authority still needs to save around 1,050 trees along the green belt between 9th Avenue and the 8-series of sectors. Most of these trees are two-to-four-years-old.
The 13.5-kilometers-long Islamabad section of the Metro Bus Project will cost Rs 23.83 billion. Commencing from the IJP Road, it will culminate at Pakistan Secretariat.
The Punjab Environment Protection Agency (PEPA) had already approved the Rawalpindi section of the project. The transparency, or lack thereof, in the issuance of environmental approval by PEPA can be judged from the fact that construction work in Rawalpindi started on March 27, while a public hearing on environmental concerns was held a day later on March 28.
Published in The Express Tribune, April 3rd, 2014.

http://tribune.com.p...in-the-balance/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 9th Avenue, Khayaban-e-Iqbal, Jinnah Avenue, Kashmir Highway, Stadium Road, Peshawar More Interchange, Signal Free Corridor, IJP Road, Zone 1, Sector F-8, Sector F-9, Sector G-8, Sector G-9, Sector H-8, Sector H-9, Sector I-8, Sector I-9, Sector E-9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users