Welcome to .::UrbanPK::.
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

Arkitect I Urbanist I Photographer I Cyclist

• Management
  • 16,532 posts
  • Interests:Arkitechture, Photography, Bicylcing, Net Surfing!
FEB 2009

Posted Image

fb513ed61e7e4dd39b9dc2d859be413f.gifi.gif?e=eyJhdiI6MjMwMzcsImF0Ijo0LCJjbSI6

'RANA DESIGN CONSULTANTS'
Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Follow us on here and refer us for any design work!

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

‘Kashmir Highway’ tenders to be re-floated by end of March

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) is preparing to re-float the tenders for the conversion of existing two-lane ‘Kashmir Highway’ into a five-lane ‘Kashmir Expressway’ by the end of March, sources in the authority told ‘The News’.

CDA’s Member (Engineering) Engineer Tahir Shamshad told ‘The News’ that the bids received in the previous tenders were cancelled as the scope of work in the project was comprehensively revised.

“Earlier, the whole project was divided in four different parts, including the construction of ‘North’ and ‘South’ bound roads, construction of bridges and culverts and construction of under-passes/over-head bridges and the construction of the project from GT (Grand Trunk) Road to Golra Mor.

“The bids received in response to the tenders floated for this project earlier were cancelled keeping in view that awarding separate contracts for the construction of roads, the bridges/culverts and the under-passes/over-head bridges for maintaining an uninterrupted flow of traffic on the Kashmir Expressway, would cause unnecessary delays. This may also cause problems between the contractors engaged on different segments of this project as they may start blaming each other for any delays caused therein,” Member Engineering said.

“So, it was decided to include the construction of bridges/culverts and under-passes/over-head bridges connecting the ‘G’ series sectors with the ‘H’ series sectors in one contract. And this was done after considering all the aspects involved in this project. So, the working in this regard is underway and we have already made a lot of ground in our preparation to re-float the tenders for this project,” Tahir Shamshad said.

According to the revised plan the whole project is now divided into three phases. Phase-I is the conversion of existing ‘North-bound’ Kashmir Highway into the five-lane Expressway from Golra Mor to the Peshawar Mor (9th Avenue). Phase-II is the conversion of the existing ‘South-bound Kashmir Highway into the five-lane Expressway from Golra Mor to the Peshawar Mor (9th Avenue) and the Phase-III is the conversion of existing Kashmir Highway from Golra Mor to the GT Road.

This stretch of project is 8.5 km in length on each side (North and South) and includes a total of two over-head bridges on the Railway track, three underpasses to connect the ‘G’ series sectors with the ‘H’ series through 10th, 11th and 12th Avenues and four nullah bridges.

“By incorporating these underpasses to be constructed on the 10th, 11th and 12th Avenues to link the sectors on both sides of the ‘Kashmir Expressway’ in this project we are easily saving a lot of money for the CDA if we may compare that a single inter-change now under construction at the ‘Zero Point’ costs more than Rs2 billion,” he said.

Director-General (Works) Abdul Jabbar Malano, when contacted, told ‘The News’ that in addition to the bridges and underpasses the CDA, keeping in view the fact that there is still quite a sizeable presence of livestock in the areas on both sides of the Kashmir Highway, is also considering providing ‘animal crossings’ under the Kashmir Expressway.

“This would not only facilitate the people owning herds of animals that cross the road but would also help prevent accidents that are usually caused by animals roaming on the roads, especially during the night time,” the DG (Works)said.

“Only the previously eight pre-qualified firms will take part in the bidding process when the tenders will be floated for this project, most probably by the end of next month (March).

“We cannot go for the process of pre-qualifying the contractors/firms for the project once again and without that no new firm/contractor can become eligible to participate in the bidding. This would be a very long process and would eventually reflect adversely on our efforts to launch this project as soon as possible. So, only the previously pre-qualified eight firms, which took part in the bidding last time too, will be eligible to bid for the first two phases of the project when the tenders will be floated this time,” he said.

The third phase of the project, from Golra Mor to GT Road would be launched at a later stage, the sources in the CDA told ‘The News’.

source: http://thenews.jang....l.asp?id=163744

Architecture | Interiors | Landscaping | Construction Management | Professional Architectural Photography

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts
Construction Pix FEB 2009

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:dots:

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

CDA gets control of Kashmir Highway toll plaza

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) has taken over operations of Toll Plaza on Kashmir Highway due to non-compliance of contractual obligation by the contractor, a spokesman for the authority said here Wednesday.

According to the CDA sources, Signage System were awarded the contract to construct the ‘Toll Plaza’ on Kashmir Highway at the entry point to the federal capital near Golra Morr on September 22, 2007, on ‘Built, Operate & Transfer’ (BOT) terms for a period of five years.

Under the agreement, the contractor was required to construct this ‘state-of-the-art’ tolling services within a period of nine months and made it operational. Under the agreement the civil work (construction of infrastructure) was to be completed within six months and during the next three months the contractor was required to install necessary equipments.

The spokesman said, “ However, the contractor committed serious violations of the agreement including non-submission of monthly BOT fees, stoppage of construction work and non-installation of electronic equipment within the stipulated time. In addition to these violations he also failed to pay BOT fees since January 1, 2009.”

He said that repeated notices were served to the contractor for committing these violations and against their inability to fulfil the obligations, both towards delay in construction of the facility, as well as failure to submit the BOT fees, as required under the contract signed with the CDA. “The authority was constrained to take the extreme step of cancelling the contract and taking over the possession of the facility and the operations from mid-night of June 30, 2009 and now it is being managed by the CDA’s own staff,” the spokesman added.

Nobody from Signage System, the contractors, were available to comment on the development.

Meanwhile, a public hearing on Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report, prepared for the ‘Kashmir Expressway project’ by NESPAK, was taken up for public hearing at a meeting held at the Convention Centre in Islamabad.

Over 50 stakeholders, representing various segments of the society, attended the hearing. The report was prepared and presented for public hearing in accordance with the guidelines laid down in the Pakistan Environmental Protection Act (1997) after it was submitted to the Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency (Pak EPA).

“After the report was submitted with the Pak EPA, public announcements through advertisement in the leading newspapers were made on June 2, 2009 about the Public Hearing on the EIA.

Later invitations to individual stakeholders were also sent, requesting them to attend the public hearing. It received a good response and over 50 persons appeared for this hearing yesterday,” Shahzada Rimmal Jamil, the Project Director of the Kashmir Expressway Project told ‘The News’.

The hearing was chaired by Pak EPA Director Zia-ul-Islam and the Head of Environment in NESPAK, Irfan-ul-Haq, made the presentation. Various stake holders raised different questions related to the project, which were responded by the Project Director Shahazada Rimmal and Irfan.

The stakeholders were informed that the project will prove environmental friend and beneficial for the public, as it would reduce the fuel consumption, thus lowering the harmful emissions considerably. They were also informed that the project would cater to the traffic flow requirements up to the year 2034.

He told ‘The News’ that after the successful public hearing of the EIA now the Pak EPA is expected to grant the ‘No Objection Certificate’ (NOC) for executing the project within 15 days following which the CDA will enter into the pre-qualification and tendering process for the project. “The authority has already allocated Rs300 million for this project in the budget for 2009-10 announced by CDA Chairman Imtiaz Inayat Elahi on June 30, 2009. We would like to launch the physical work on the project as quickly as possible because all the other necessary requirements for the project have already been met,” he told ‘The News’.

http://thenews.com.p...l.asp?id=186006

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Funds short for widening of Kashmir Highway

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The widening of Kashmir Highway is awaiting availability of funds with both the Capital Development Authority and federal government as design and pre-qualification of firms have been finalized.

According to a senior CDA official, CDA and the federal government would equally bear cost of the project that would incur Rs 3 billion but the financial capacity looks weak on both sides due to the prevailing financial meltdown. "We are awaiting go-ahead from the concerned. We would soon announce bidding of the project," said the official and added that Authority has already cancelled the earlier bid that had ignited a controversy alleging that it was not conducted in a transparent manner.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts
NOV 2009

Interchange/junction of G.T.Road & Islamabad Highway near Sector G.14/4. (wrong caption in pix)

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

CDA decides to restart work on Kashmir Expressway project

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) Thursday decided to re-initiate the stalled project of Kashmir Expressway.

CDA Chairman Imtiaz Inayat Elahi has directed the Engineering Wing to kick-start the process of pre-qualification of contractors-firms fit to execute the Rs2 billion mega project.

Sources in the CDA told ‘The News’ that the chairman had a briefing on the project from the Engineering Wing on Wednesday and directed them to complete the basic formalities for the bidding process to award the contract.

The project is being undertaken by the CDA as a Public Sector Development Project with 50 per cent funding by the government and was supposed to be launched back in 2008. However, because of insufficient funds released by the government as well as the financial constraints that the CDA was passing through at that time, the project was delayed.

It is learnt that now the government has allocated Rs300 million for the project in the budget and the chairman of the authority has directed to launch this project at a time when the work will keep going till the time next year’s budgetary allocations for this project are allocated and made available.

A senior official in the CDA informed that there was a proposal under consideration as well to divert some funds available with the CDA, originally allocated for some other projects, towards the Kashmir Expressway project to meet the financial requirements. A formal request in this connection is being made to the government for diversion of those funds to the Kashmir Expressway project.

The 24-month project includes expansion of existing two-lane double carriageway into a five-lane expressway after addition of one soft and two rigid lanes on each side, linking the GT (Grand Trunk) Road, the Motorway (M-1/M-2). In the first phase an 11-km stretch from GT Road-Motorway link to Peshawar Morr (9th Avenue) would be constructed.

Earlier, the CDA chairman had told ‘The News’ that newly constructed and yet to be made operational most modern toll plaza on the Kashmir Highway is likely to cause some problems while expanding the existing two-lane into five-lane expressway. “I have spoken to the people in the Engineering Wing and they are abreast of the situation. They have been directed to make necessary changes in the design at that particular point to prevent it becoming a bottleneck in the project,” he said.

Sources in the Engineering Wing of the authority told ‘The News’ that this construction of 11-km Kashmir Expressway may be divided into three segments, each awarded to a different contractor, to ensure maximum deployment of men and machine force.

“This will certainly expedite the work on the project because there will not only be a much bigger workforce engaged on the project, but there will also be a sense of competition amongst the different contractors to complete their part of the project expeditiously,” the source said.

CDA spokesman when contacted, told ‘The News’ that once completed this project will help ensure a smooth flow of traffic on this stretch benefiting not only the motorists disembarking from the M-1 and M-2 Motorway or the GT Road, but will also facilitate the people commuting to and fro Rawalpindi-Islamabad on daily basis from Rawalpindi, the ‘I’ and ‘H’ series sectors on the southern side and the ‘G’ series sectors on the north, especially G-12, G-13, G-14 too which are fast developing and inhabitants have already started moving in.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Work on Kashmir Highway to start in March

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) has decided to start construction work on the Kashmir Highway in March. The project would cost the CDA Rs 2.60 billion, sources in CDA told Online.

They added that the eight kilometers long road would connect Golra More to Peshawar More. “Contract would be awarded to the interested firm on time so that timely execution of the project is ensured,” they said emphatically.

“A high level committee has been constituted to scrutinize applications submitted by interested companies,” they elaborated.They said the PC-1 of the project had been approved. “The federal government has allocated Rs 300 million for the project. However the CDA has demanded more funds,” they concluded.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Widening work on Kashmir Highway to start this month

Wednesday, March 03, 2010
Islamabad

The Capital Development Authority is set to initiate work on multi-billion project to widen Kashmir Highway from existing three to five lanes during this month.

“We have finalised the pre-qualification of contractor firms. A members’ committee is vetting the process that is expected to complete its assignment within a week,” a senior CDA official told APP.

He said the project cost would be borne both by the federal government and the CDA as the federal government has already provide a token money of Rs300 million whereas rest of the amount would hopefully be received within prescribed time.

He said in 2009, the CDA had cancelled the bids due to alleged misappropriation by certain firms involved in the process, adding that even top construction firms of the country has also submitted its papers for pre-qualification.

The official said the project would incur more or less Rs4.5 billion and the bridges falling on the highway is part of the project. However, he said the planned interchanges and flyovers on the road would be constructed in the second phase under another contract as they involve huge financial implication.

Under the project, highway would be upgraded to five lanes including two rigid lanes linking 9th Avenue with the GT Road. The 11-km stretch of the highway from Peshawar Mor to GT Road is estimated to cost around five billion rupees.

He said once the work initiates; the authority would spend Rs700 million during the current fiscal year including two instalments of mobilization advance to the construction firm.

According to the official, the Civil Aviation Authority, establishing a new airport near Fatehjang, has also demanded early start of work on the Kashmir Highway, so that the road could cater to the future traffic needs likely to increase after completion of the airport.

aliee

aliee

Naib Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
its really nice view and i dirve on kashmir highway daily because its way of my office which is in Police Line :)

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Kashmir Highway — future lifeline for Islamabad

From the Newspaper

March 27, 2011

The 12-km-long strip of Kashmir Highway from Peshawar Mor to G.T. Road will be the future lifeline for Islamabad and the under-construction Benazir International Airport at Fatehjang, which is scheduled to be completed in 2013.

Right from the presidency to the Capital Development Authority (CDA), government departments like the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) are giving much importance to the Rs3 billion highway project as they consider it a gateway to progress and development not only in Islamabad and northern region but also for the whole country.

The future charm, utility and effectiveness of the new airport lie on Kashmir Highway which after reconstruction will cut the total distance from Zero Point to the airport to just 15 minutes’ drive instead of 45 minutes which it currently takes to reach there through the narrow and zigzag Fatehjang Road starting from G. T. Road near Tarnol.

A proposed wholesale market will also be established at Sangjani near the airport in the near future to cater to the business and trade activities in the northern region and Punjab, further enhancing the importance of the Kashmir Highway.

In view of the prevailing financial crunch, the CDA has, however, reduced the volume of the project by cutting its proposed lanes from 10 to eight though the CAA has expressed some reservations against the decision.

Under the plan, an interchange will be constructed at the Kashmir Highway-G. T. Road junction to divert traffic to the motorway and G. T. Road coming from Kashmir Highway. A slip line will be established on the motorway near Fatehjang to give an access to the new airport.

The Rs50 billion international airport, which is being constructed on a fast track, will accommodate 25 million passengers a year – equal to that at Dubai airport. The completion time for the Kashmir Highway project, recently divided into two components and awarded to two firms, is also 2013.

A visit to the site of the under-construction airport showed that one of the two runways had been completed while other segments were being constructed by both local and foreign firms.

“More than 23 per cent work has been done and we are hopeful that the entire project will be completed within the scheduled time,” said Sumair Saeed, the general manager (E&M) of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) working at the site.

Earth-moving machines were seen everywhere while cutting, digging, levelling and compaction of vast land also continued at the site in the west of Islamabad, some 35 km from Zero Point.

The need for the new state-of-the art airport in Islamabad, equipped with all modern facilities, was felt for quite some time as the existing one has become unable to meet the growing passenger and cargo load.

The official said the new airport would be the first in the country that would facilitate operation of A-380 flight, currently the biggest passenger plane.

It has been learnt that some sort of slackness was being shown by the CDA in taking off the road project and if any further delay was made, the authority will be in a difficult situation to meet the deadline of 2013.

Some of the officials in CDA said the old PC-I of the project was required to be revised and till then it cannot be commissioned. However, others said the authority should initiate the project and simultaneously send it to the higher authorities to avoid difficulties in the release of fund.

The Kashmir Highway reconstruction is a public sector development project; therefore, 50 per cent of its total cost will be provided by the federal government. The CDA has allocated Rs241 million for the project in its current budget.

The project remained in the doldrums for over three years when in 2009 the award of its contract was abolished after manipulation was found in it. Later, it was awarded again in September 2010.

Umair Ahmed

Umair Ahmed

Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Tourism, Photography etc
- It has started, the pace is quiet slow though.

- They are only concentrating on the Golra Shareef Round about to G11/G10 crossing on KH.

- They have cut the hills around but in a very irregular manner.

- As it stands, they are making a parallel track to the GT Road bound track of the KH when it splits in G12/H12 for the roundabout.

shahmeer

shahmeer

Naib Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
can anyone upload a map and show me where Kashmir highway starts and stops. because after the sector g 14 the straight line of Kashmir highway turns into some not so straight road, it absolute different to the master plan.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Kashmir Highway contractor halts work

Cash-strapped Capital Development Authority (CDA) is now facing another blow due to its poor financial condition as the construction work on Kashmir Highway has come to a halt due to the non-payment of dues, Pakistan Today has learnt.

Sources in the CDA said that the whole work on the south carriage way (section-1) of Kashmir Highway had come to a standstill for the last four days, as the concerned contractor had refused to work without payment, while the construction company working on north carriageway (section-2) had also slowed down the pace of work due to the delay in payment from the civic body.

In order to provide fast access to the new airport being established in Fateh Jang some 30 km from the capital, the city’s prime agency launched a widening of the highway several months back. Nevertheless, negligence of some concerned officials of the authority has created a number of hurdles in the timely completion of the project. The Rs 3 billion Kashmir Highway or dual carriageway project – under which the road will have five lanes on each side from Golra Mor to Peshawar Mor – is being constructed under the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP).

Officials of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the CDA are calling the highway project the “future lifeline” of Islamabad as it will provide new links between the capital and the new airport, and the Lahore and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa motorways. A wholesale market has also been proposed in Sangjani near the new airport for trade activities in the northern region and Punjab. Under the plan, an interchange will be constructed at the Kashmir Highway-GT Road junction to divert traffic to the motorway and GT Road coming from the Kashmir Highway.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

FIA takes road project record into custody

The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has taken into custody the record pertaining to tendering process and award of work of Rs 3.5 billion Kashmir Highway project, sources informed TheNation.

However, concerned officials of the Capital Development Authority are confident that investigators would find no “substantial” evidence of corruption or irregularity from the record as it was already scrutinised by a court.

“It is a part of the move, FIA has initiated recently against CDA in a bid to create hurdles in the smooth running of affairs of the Authority, as mentioned by CDA Chairman few days ago during the course of proceedings of a standing committee on Cabinet Secretariat,” said an official.

The record that was taken into custody on Saturday include files containing details of tendering process, award of work, agreements with contractors executing work on the project and NID, informed the official.

The work on the project is already come to a standstill following issue of release of funds to the contractors.

According to PC-I of the project the Kashmir Highway would have five lanes on each side from Golra Mor to Peshawar Mor. On each side of the dual carriageway, three lanes flexible and two rigid lanes would be constructed.

The widening of Kashmir Highway project that was kicked off in February 2011 has been facing several hurdles, top of them - release of sufficient funds to the contractors. CDA, so far, has not even managed to clear dues to various utility departments - resultantly they were not removing their installations fall right in the way of the project.

The federal government under the public sector development programme has released Rs100 million to the Authority for the project for ongoing fiscal year 2011-12.

CDA has released approximately Rs90 million as mobilization advance to the contractors executing work on the mega project, while another Rs40 million was released later to the contractor executing work on south carriageway.

“The amount so far the authority has released to the contractors since the start of work is insufficient. And this can be witnessed from the progress on the work on site, as the contractors have only completed approximately 4 percent of the total work during past seven months,” the official said.

The Kashmir Highway widening project has been divided into two parts. A consortium of three firms including Arif & Co, Chaudhry Latif and KK were awarded work of widening on northern carriageway, while Ayub Brothers were awarded work for the south carriageway.

“Already following the irregularities emerged in award of this contract and later the litigation between the contractors has delayed this project and now CDA seems reluctant to release even a single penny out of its own funds,” official lamented.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Kashmir Expressway project falling way behind schedule

The Kashmir Expressway, a major development project which also has a Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) share in it, being executed by the Capital Development Authority (CDA), is labouring hard on its way up the completion scale.

The work on the project started after much ado in February 2011. So far, the contractors engaged by the CDA — M/s Ayub Brothers and Arif and Co working jointly — have managed to complete only about 12% of work. The scheduled completion of the project is February 2013 at a cost of Rs2.2 billion approximately, which by the way the things are moving, seems a difficult task to accomplish unless some extraordinary efforts are put in.

The construction activity has already started reflecting adversely on the condition of the existing Kashmir Highway because evidently the original plan of first completing one side and then launching the other has been set aside because of intervention by the Planning Commission and patches have been scrapped, roughened up and excavations have been done on both sides of the existing road.

This construction activity, which is moving at a snail’s pace, has already started hampering the flow of traffic, especially beyond the H-11/G-11 traffic signals and the traffic flow on both sides of this around four-kilometre patch or a little more, up to Golra roundabout, has become a test of skills and patience for the drivers.

The CDA decided to start the project in the fiscal year 2009-2010 under which the existing two-lane, one-way Kashmir Highway was to be converted into five-lane, one-way Kashmir Expressway. The objective was mainly to cater to the ever-increasing load of traffic on the road as it is the only link with the Grand Trunk (GT) Road, the M-1 and M-2 of Motorway as well as it is going to be the main link for the under-construction Islamabad International Airport near Fatehjang, which is likely to be completed and opened for air traffic in a couple of years or a little more.

According to the original plan, it was also decided that the 8-1/2 km stretch of Kashmir Expressway would be ‘traffic signal-free’ from the 9th Avenue intersection at Peshawar Morr right up to the Golra Toll Plaza with overhead bridges or underpasses at important junctures.

The work on the Kashmir Expressway project was scheduled to start towards the end of 2009, but it continued to be delayed for one reason or the other and even the issue of award of contract to a particular construction firm, which the CDA was forced to cancel and go into a review.

CDA Member (Engineering) Syed Abrar Shah, when contacted, told this scribe that the delay in release of funds by the government out of its allocated share of Rs300 million for the fiscal year 2010-2011 reflected adversely on the progress of the project.

“So far, we have received only Rs60 million out of the allocated Rs300 million for the project, which certainly is not enough to keep up the pace of work on the project at the required levels. However efforts are being made to keep the work continuing, even if at a slower pace as we hope that with the release of required amount of funds will help speed up work on the project,” he added.

He said that according to the original plan, it was decided to first complete five-lane one side of the project, starting from the 9th Avenue intersection on the Kashmir Highway right up to the Golra Toll Plaza, divert the whole load of traffic by dividing it into two lanes and then start work on the other side.

“However, the Planning Commission directed the CDA to launch the work on both sides simultaneously and that is what we have done. We have taken all precautionary measures to prevent any accident where there are excavations being done on sides of the existing road in two directions,” he said.

He also claimed that the CDA is monitoring the condition of the existing road and wherever needed it is carrying out the necessary patchwork to maintain the condition of the road. However, the situation on ground is quite adverse as signs of heavy wear and tear on the existing Kashmir Highway between G-11/H-11 traffic signal up to the Golra Toll Plaza have appeared, which are causing serious trouble to motorists.

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts

Delay in Kashmir Highway construction poses threats to commuters

The Capital Development Authority (CDA) chairman seems least interested in ensuring the timely completion of the Kashmir Highway project, which has almost come to a halt due to non provision of funds by the authority, Pakistan Today learnt.

The delay in construction of the Kashmir Highway has also been posing threats to the lives of those people who routinely travel on the under-construction Kashmir Highway.

According to sources, CDA has discontinued the funds for the construction project so the contractors have also slowed down the pace of the work. According to official CDA sources, less than half of the Kashmir Highway construction work has been done so far due to the lack of funds. Moreover, the developers have also been reluctant in continuing the work, causing delay in the mega project and nuisance to the commuters.

“Last week I was going to my home in Taxila when suddenly my cab went into a ditch on Kashmir highway, after which I lost control of my vehicle, which further hit a rock lying on the edge of the highway, resulting in great damage to my taxi,” said Ghulam Mahmood, a taxi driver. He said that his taxi was at the workshop and he had been unable to earn a livelihood for some days now , however what disturbed Mahmood the most was who was responsible for his loss.

Like the taxi driver, Ghulam Mahmood, there are many others who have been involved in similar incidents on the under-construction road, where many people have been injured and their vehicles damaged. However, the CDA has not taken any steps for the safety of the commuters and seems least bothered in expediting the construction work also. Therefore, the civic body’s negligence has been a cause of trouble to many commuters.

On Thursday night, another car faced a similar situation when the driver lost control of the vehicle and it hit a rock when passing by a CNG station on the highway. The police and emergency vehicles rushed to the spot. Fortunately, the driver’s life was safe, however the car was completely damaged.

Deep holes have been dug on the Kashmir Highway as part of the construction process, however the management has not placed any warning signs around such places, posing great risk to the commuters’ lives.

The Rs 3 billion dual carriageway project, under which the road will have five lanes on either side from Golra Mor to Peshawar Mor, is being constructed under the Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP). The Kashmir Highway is being widened mainly to provide fast access to the new airport being established in Fateh Jang, around 30 kilometres from the capital.

Nevertheless, the negligence of some concerned officials of the authority has created a number of hurdles in the timely completion of the project. The officials of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the CDA have dubbed the highway project the “future lifeline” of Islamabad as it will provide new links between the capital and the new airport and the Lahore and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa motorways.

A wholesale market has also been proposed in Sangjani, near the new airport, for trade activities in the northern region and Punjab. Under the plan, an interchange will be constructed at the Kashmir Highway – GT Road junction to divert traffic from the Kashmir Highway to the motorway and GT Road.

malpensa

malpensa

Tehsil Nazim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
their is so much land sitting idle in the Islamabad area..their is impression that land is so expensive only because its artificiially inflated..the days of real estate millions are over ..now its time for the CDA to give land to major internatioal firms to build something on the land for free then collect taxes.

islamabad should give land free to hyperstar. hotels even Motels encorage others like Ikea give them some of islamabad vast wasteland for free and let them create jobs and increase their tax revenues

the whole area between DHA/Emaar to zero point should be developed

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts
Islamabad: Kashmir Highway

Construction Pix: APR 2012

Construction Photography by: Rana Atif Rehman

Road widening infront of Lizard's Rock (Sector G-13/4).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tekno Arkitect

Tekno Arkitect

• Management
  • 16,532 posts
Zero Point to draw closer to airport as work on 3 roads starts today

ISLAMABAD: The Capital Development Authority will start construction work on three mega road projects today (Wednesday) to cope with swelling volume of traffic as the city's population has reached to 1.7 million.

The projects to be kicked off include construction of Margalla Avenue, 11th Avenue and widening of Kashmir Highway. Margalla Avenue would run along foothills of Margalla Hills and will connect G.T. Road to Sector D-12. This Avenue will also provide an easy access to the new under-construction Islamabad Airport.

This nine-kilometre road would have two-lane with 24-feet width on each side, a 20-feet median and will also comprise a railway bridge. The estimated cost of the project is Rs 744 million; however two firms have offered equal bids of Rs 500 million in open bidding.

Close to this Avenue, the CDA would also launch two residential sectors of C-15 and C-16. The 11th Avenue is planned to connect the Kashmir Highway with the GT Road through Margalla Avenue in phase-I to provide an alternate approach from the GT Road to the Kashmir Highway.

Besides, the seven-kilometre Avenue would facilitate the inhabitants of sectors G-10, G-11, F-10 and F-11. The estimated cost of the project is Rs 1.04 billion and project would take around nine months to complete. The project involves one underpass at intersection of F-10/F-11 and G-10/G-11 and an interchange at the Nazimuddin Road and the Ibn-e-Sina Road.

Under the project, the 11-kilometre Kashmir Highway would be widened from existing two to five lanes from Peshawar Morr to the GT Road and would cost around Rs 4.8 billion. The project comprises six new bridges, three underpasses on 10th, 11th and 12th Avenues, a flyover on Golra Road. The designed speed of the road would be 120 kilometres per hour to help commuters reach from Zero Point to new airport within 15 minutes instead of current 45 minutes.

The Highway is said to be the future lifeline for Islamabad and the under-construction Benazir International Airport, at Fatehjang, is to complete in 2013.
app

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kashmir Highway, Highway, Zero Point Interchange, 9th Avenue, 7th Avenue, Shah Faisal Avenue, Islamabad Highway, G.T.Road, M-2, Zone 1, Zone 2, Peshawar More

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users